The Modern Family Alliance operates with a mission to support LGBT parents and their children through events, resources, and education, and to foster a community in the Kansas City metro area that is respectful, encouraging and inclusive of all families.
Provide a one time gift or become a monthly funder to help us further our mission and accomplish the activities outlined below. We are a 501(c)3 organization and all contributions are tax deductible.
- Maintain a network of LGBT parents so that they can mentor and help one another throughout the family life cycle.
- Offer resource and referral information to prospective and existing LGBT parents.
- Advocate for LGBT families in the Midwest so that they may participate fully in the larger community without fear of oppression, intimidation or exclusion.
- Organize social activities and events which invite LGBT families to meet one another, network, find mutual support and share experiences that may be beneficial to other families.
- Provide educational workshops, conferences and trainings for LGBT families and the LGBT family service providers.
The Modern Family Alliance (MFA), formerly the Midwest Alternative Family Alliance (MAFA), was founded in 2002 by a small group of people to act as a catalyst for social action on behalf of LGBT families. Since then, the organization has been celebrating gay and lesbian parents, prospective parents and those who support them. In 2005, MFA became a 501c3 non-profit organization with a goal of providing a presence, a voice, and a way to connect with each other. In 2015, the organization officially changed its name to the Modern Family Alliance to better reflect the social and cultural transition of the LGBT family in today’s society. In 2018, MFA officially joined the National Network of LGBTQ Family Groups and continues to provide family and community based events through their guidance and best practices.
MFA Board of Directors
MFA is managed by volunteers with varied experience, interests, ideas, and talents. Members include LGBT parents, prospective parents, and supporters (gay and straight) of today’s modern families. The MFA Board of Directors meets monthly to discuss strategies and the growth of the organization. Officers are elected every 2 years and other committees meet as needed, including: Membership, Programs, Activities and Events, Communications, Finance, and Advocacy.
Shawn Moore – President
Lynn Barnett – Vice President & Co-Director of Education
Nancy Bean – Treasurer & Co-Director of Education
Kelli Doyle – Director of Communications
Brook Sams Beach – Director of Community Relations