The Modern Family Alliance operates with a mission to support LGBTQ parents and their children through events, resources, and education, and to foster a community in the Kansas City metro area that is respectful, encouraging and inclusive of all families.
Provide a one time gift or become a monthly funder to help us further our mission and accomplish the activities outlined below. We are a 501(c)3 organization and all contributions are tax deductible.
- Maintain a network of LGBTQ parents so that they can mentor and help one another throughout the family life cycle.
- Offer resource and referral information to prospective and existing LGBTQ parents.
- Advocate for LGBTQ families in the Midwest so that they may participate fully in the larger community without fear of oppression, intimidation or exclusion.
- Organize social activities and events which invite LGBTQ families to meet one another, network, find mutual support and share experiences that may be beneficial to other families.
- Provide educational workshops, conferences and trainings for LGBTQ families and the LGBTQ family service providers.
The Modern Family Alliance (MFA), formerly the Midwest Alternative Family Alliance (MAFA), was founded in 2002 by a small group of people to act as a catalyst for social action on behalf of LGBT families. Since then, the organization has been celebrating LGBTQ parents, prospective parents and those who support them. In 2005, MFA became a 501c3 non-profit organization with a goal of providing a presence, a voice, and a way to to better perform its mission to connect LGBTQ families and educate the larger community. In 2015, the organization officially changed its name to the Modern Family Alliance to better reflect the social and cultural transition of the LGBTQ family in today’s society. In 2018, MFA officially joined the National Network of LGBTQ Family Groups and continues to provide family and community based events through their guidance and best practices.
MFA Board of Directors
MFA is managed by volunteers with varied experience, interests, ideas, and talents. Members include LGBTQ parents, prospective parents, and supporters (LGBTQ and straight) of today’s modern families. The MFA Board of Directors meets monthly to discuss strategies and the growth of the organization. If you are interested in becoming a board member please complete our Board Member Application and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2020 Board Roster
Kelli Doyle – President
Shawn Moore – Vice President
Nancy Bean – Treasurer
Jennifer Wilson – Secretary